- Volunteer for a leading animal welfare charity
- Recruiting for Volunteer Op Shop Drivers at our Traralgon and Mornington locations
About RSPCA Victoria
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Victoria) is a non-government, community-based charity that works to prevent cruelty to animals by actively promoting their care and protection. The RSPCA Victoria was established in Melbourne in 1871. Since this time, RSPCA Victoria has become Australia’s leading animal welfare charity.
Volunteers are an integral part of the RSPCA Victoria team. They play an active and vital role in helping to support our work to improve the welfare of animals and protect them from cruelty and neglect. Volunteering involves commitment, dedication and passion.
About the role
Volunteer Drivers are vital to our work.
If you’ve been looking for a way to give back to the community, are passionate about animal welfare and eager to lend a hand, we can’t wait to hear from you.
RSPCA Victoria Volunteer Op Shop Drivers play an essential role in supporting the day to day operations of RSPCA Victoria. Drivers can work to a set roster or work on an on-call basis depending on the needs of the Op Shop network and your availability. We will work with your preferences for the length of drive you prefer to undertake.
Volunteer Op Shop Drivers support our Development Team by transporting goods and donations for Op Shops between locations.
Our Volunteer Drivers are valued members of the team and every kilometre driven supports the vision of RSPCA Victoria to ending cruelty to all animals.
Role duties and responsibilities
RSPCA Victoria Volunteer Op Shop Drivers may undertake the following activities related to the transport of goods/donations:
- Driving an RSPCA vehicle to transfer a variety of supplies and equipment including assisting to load and unload supplies and equipment, including furniture as needed
- Driving a vehicle which may include a car with a trailer or a 4.2m moving van/truck (car license required)
- Drivers are to report any vehicles issues or maintenance needs to their supervisor asap
Please note: Private vehicles must be comprehensively insured by the owner and roadworthy if being used for RSPCA business. The driver of the private vehicle must be a nominated driver on the vehicle’s insurance policy. A volunteer must have manager’s permission in advance in order to use a private vehicle to undertake RSPCA business as outlined in the RSPCA Vehicle policy.
Skills and experience required
To be successful in this role, the volunteer will possess the following skills and attributes:
- A current full driving license
- Attention to detail and the ability to follow oral and written instructions carefully
- Strong communication skills and a love for engaging with people and animals
- The ability to work effectively in a team, while working independently
- A good level of general fitness; some lifting may be required
- As this role either a set day and/or is an on-call basis both flexibility and availability are required for short (2-3 hour) and long trips (8 hours)
- Relevant experience in an animal handling role with the RSPCA Victoria (for Animal Transport)
- Experience/ability to tow a trailer/drive small van
Training & Support Requirements:
- Ongoing opportunity to discuss your role and any concerns with the Volunteer Support Officer